Over 150 Years of continuous operation serving youth – the oldest in the country!
Our incredible story began shortly after the US Civil War, when a number of individuals were drawn together by a mutual interest. On March 3, 1868, they met to establish the Union for Christian Work, the parent from whom, thirty-one years later, today’s Boys & Girls Clubs of Providence first breathed independent life. In the decades of the 1890’s, the program was identified as the “Boys Room” and in March 1899, the organization officially became the Providence Boys Club. It wasn’t until 1981 that it would be known as the Boys & Girls Clubs of Providence.
Today, there are eight sites throughout Providence, including buildings in the Fox Point, South Side and Wanskuck neighborhoods, three location is Providence public housing sites and two schools. While its name may have changed as the club evolved over the years, one thing has remained the same.
We are dedicated to our mission: To enable and inspire children and youth, especially those from diverse or difficult circumstances, to reach their full potential as productive, responsible, and healthy members of their community, the State of Rhode Island, and the Nation.
Today, we provide diverse youth between the ages of 6-18 per year a safe and secure environment for help with homework, childcare, mentoring, athletic activities, and educational and career development opportunities.